Well in 3 hours, we head up to Sun Valley to spend time with our friends and get a few hours of shut eye- then wake up at approx. 2:30am to drive to the race starting point. Fortunately my 1st leg isn't until about 5 hours later, so hopefully I'll be awake and ready by then. We're all packing in the mini-van for the trip. (3 couples total) We knew this car would come in handy!! (despite all the mocking from friends!)
I guess the only things I'm concerned about is the weather (being too cold or too hot) and the elevation. But- I can't change either of those things- so I guess I'm as ready as I'll ever be. For those of you who don't know the area- the run is up in the mountains- so the elevation should be very different from here in Nampa. We're excited, though. It's been really fun to do something with Jer. Something both of us can look forward to and motivate one another with. I hope we find something after this with the same common goal.
In other news on the home front...
This first week of summer has been great. Other than having to wake them up to go to swimming lessons when they aren't done with their nap- things have been wonderful. I have really been enjoying them. Yesterday we started our weekly playdate with a friend of mine who has a little boy. The kids did well and all ate lunch and napped well. Wednesday- we went to the free movie that plays on Tues./Wed. at Edwards. Ian loved it. Luke lasted about an hour and then was spent. I quietly told Ian we needed to leave and he maturely said, "Okay, mom." and walked right out. I was astonished. He must have been sleepy too- to leave a movie with no questions or fits.
We've gone on bike rides, errands and just been able to really play. Without me saying- "Okay, I'll be there right after I get this food cooking." I can really give them my time and attention.
Luke has been going in the potty frequently- which I'm grateful I'm home for. He loves to wear his "unnerwer" and be like brother. He is such a pleaser that he is just happy to have the praise. He requires no skittles or prizes- it's wonderful. :) But he is also getting to the 2 yr old stage and just trying to throw big kid fits as well. He puts so much effort into them- but usually you can tell that they are forced- and it's not that he is really that upset- he has just seen that behavior modeled. Hmm....where would he see that? Possibly from the big brother that is so dramatic and strong willed in everything he does. You should see me sink into my seat while I watch him during swim lessons. "Are YOU cold too? I'm COLD!"-- "Hey, I want to sit by You!" "My shark's going to GET YOU!!" "Hey! Where'd the sun go? COME BACK Mr. Sun!!"
And yes, the capitals would be when he is shouting while all the other little kids in their precious swim suits are sitting quietly on the step waiting for their turn. Just 4 more days- then maybe he'll be more mature next year. But- at least he isn't afraid of the water- or strangers- or anything?
Last night Jer and I held hands as we walked upstairs, following Ian for the unveiling of his new (used of course) BIG-kid (twin size) bed. I knew that Jer was really excited to see his face full of pride and excitement. It was a weird thing to walk away seeing a big bed in there. I can't believe the little guy that was once 4 lbs and couldn't fit into any clothes forever- now needed a twin bed and was so proud of himself for growing up. Parenting is just indescribable. They can bring you so much joy that cannot be produced by any other thing- yet I'm sure- so much pain- that hurts like none other. I hope and pray that the pain stays at a minimum but I'm sure adolescence will bring us some curve balls.
No comments:
Post a Comment