Thursday, March 18, 2010

First time I've cried in awhile........
Ian woke up with a fever and crying out that his throat hurt. We've had raging episodes of strep at work and so I was concerned he might have it. We went through craziness trying to figure out a plan for who was staying home with him. I put in for a sub but with it being 7 already- it could easily not be filled. So Jer stayed home until I could find one. We waited and waited (me at school) and still at 11:00, I didn't have anyone. Finally, they pulled a teacher from a reading class and had her fill for me in the afternoon, because Jer had an important mtg at 11:30. So I got home and was finally able to care for my sick child. (one of the most frustrating things about being a working mom) He's currently sleeping upstairs. He already woke up once crying and screaming, "I was just trying to win him!" (referring to his puppy) A dream among the fairgrounds perhaps?

I finally got him to calm down and he went back to sleep.

While he was sleeping, I got a call from my principal. My challenge student that has turned my world upset down the last 3-4 weeks, causing me to seriously consider being a stay-at-home mom and giving daily anxiety, while taking the focus away from all the other kids - is moving.

He had been spouting off about it recently and I had hoped it was another lie. But today,while I was gone, he ran off the playground into another subdivision and picked up a huge piece of glass........within the trip to the office and calls home, it was confirmed that he moved.

My principal told me and I felt such grief. I got off the phone and just cried. When his mood swings (with bi-polar) were leveled at a calm innocent boy- I often almost told him "I love you." the way I would tell my own child. Maybe I should have. He was making progress in my class and each week was becoming more productive. It wasn't easy, and my class made a lot of sacrifices, but now- he's starting all over again, and will test all those boundaries once more. 3 schools in 2 months? Not only does he have his own body against him with 4 diagnoses, but his home environment isn't exactly set up to help him succeed. I worry he will be a Columbine type student. And all he really needs is love and self worth. (and medication). (and a steady home and school). Okay- he needs a lot.

He will go to the next school, and throw chairs, shoes, pencils. He will tell students and teachers that he will k*ill them and he will spout out every awful word or phrase you have ever heard of.

Was the last month of my life with him a waste? I had to spend almost every prep minute of the last month- doing something to prepare for him. I have to believe that something ---some seed---was planted for him. God wouldn't place him on my heart without reason. ?

Another student left this week. A good student from a home of poverty. The kids often came in clothes that were too big or too small. I had some clothes that were given to me for the boys when they got older. I asked him if he was interested in them since they weren't being used. For about a week, I filled his backpack everyday with some clothes for him and his brother. They wore them frequently. I had a connection with him as well, and now he moved (probably 3 schools in 2 years for him). Neither of them were here for a good-bye.

Jer and I often come home with our stories and comment that we are barely making a dent.
I pray that we are.
But today, I feel grief that I have to put him back out there, knowing he's going to fail. I pray God will protect him from himself and his surroundings.












On a dry note.




I did a shower for my friend this weekend. Finally some girl cake decorating!!! Can't wait for Libby's birthdays!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh Joy. My heart breaks reading that. You are such a light to those kids. I would be absolutely overjoyed and grateful to have a teacher like you for my kids. Don't you remember your 2nd and 3rd grade teachers? I do. And I remember special things that they did to set me apart from others and to make me feel like they really cared. You better believe those boys will surely remember you and your kind heart when they are older.
How is your Ian doing? Is he feeling any better? All three of us have been sick and it has totally sucked. Last week was the week from you know where. :( But thankfully we are on the up-and-up and I am so glad!
Hang in there. I am praying for you.

Sherry said...

Those boys will remember you more than you know. I hate those feelings of did I even matter? or why bother? You were put in their life the perfect time. Doesn't make sense, but it does.

Love the cupcakes. If you did decide to stay home, you could totally cater for showers. You have a knack for it, I can tell.

lynn halsey said...

Joy---I'm so sorry Ian is sick! And now Jer is flying here this weekend...I'm praying that the time he's gone will be "smooth sailing" for you with the kids. I wish so much you all could come here this time too....sigh.
As for your influence on those students, I'm sure God will take the seed you planted and use it for a purpose. Remember the story of the mustard seed? It is the tiniest of all tree seeds. I think what you are doing will someday sprout and grow like that in the lives of your students.
I surely do miss you and the kids. Please know I pray daily for all of you. Love you!

grammasnotes said...

I agree, you have to believe you left some kind of dent! There are still occasional miracle stories. Most of all, we are called to do do our best, not be responsible for the outcome. We are stewards, not the masters. And caring is part of the job. Hurting for them is part of how we care. The hurting makes us better able to care and plan for the next needy crisis in our lives. Keep seeking and you will see which way you should go.

Sorry about Ian's being sick. He does need you -- you're a great mom!

I think your baking special cakes and cupcakes does for you what making Christmas and Easter dresses did for me. Whee! A little time to revel in being creative!