We were originally supposed to be going on a date, on a Friday that I had off and that he was going to take off. (at least that was what I thought). Recently when Libby got sick and I had an important mtg at school and could not stay home- he sacrificed his last day off to be with her. I was devastated. It appeared that now there was no way he could go on our date. He eventually told me that day would happen whether he was there or not. I pictured myself attending some Boise show all by myself.....
After many questions and many lies, on the Thursday night before, my girlfriend arrived at 11:30 at night with all her luggage and her precious 5 month old baby on my doorstep....I was so excited to have a day with her in the morning. In the morning, we got the kids off to daycare, and Jer ending up having the day off after all. He said he needed to run a quick errand in Boise and he would meet us out there. He obviously was still up to something....(But you never know about this guy....he recently opened his trunk and presented me with a heavy duty Kitchen Aid that he purchased almost new on Craig's List...."for my birthday"- but he could have said it was for Columbus Day, because the precious man doesn't seem to need a reason to celebrate or give)
We met him out at Barnes and Noble for some much needed sitting/coffee/book reading.....
We walked around the coffee corner looking for him, and there.....were......3 more of my friends sitting at the table. I was.......pretty speechless. I was overwhelmed. How did they all whip down here? It was still a work day, so they would have had to take time off to fly a few states away and leave their families, their jobs and their lives.....to surprise me. Sure, for girls weekends, we all do that, but we had seen each other several times this summer. I felt so honored. After I suppressed my feelings so we could move on with the event in laughter, we mapped out our day. We went to the scrap booking store and caught up on each other's lives....we spent 4 hours in the mall, giving advice, discussing the latest styles, and helped each other find a few must-have's in our closets. Sheer bliss.....
All the while, my hubs was also camped out in the mall. I called to check up on him and he noted, "I'm good. I just finished a book." sweet man.
That evening we got pizza and played with the kids some. After the kids went to bed, several girls dyed their hair (with great results, by the way) and we all got ready. Jer volunteered to not only stay with the kids but also watch the 5 month old. This is a bold move for my sweet husband, who is notoriously known for not enjoying baby world. But he did it out of love. Out of the pure desire to give me time out with my friends. That desire was so strong that he wasn't even upset when he had to text us multiple times that the babe had woken up and none of the "stand-by's" were working to calm him. I'm sure he was frustrated, but he didn't do the heavy sigh that gives the non-verbal message of being utterly and completely annoyed. He was amazing.
As were my friends. Apparently Jer had given them the message, months prior, that I seemed a little down. I'm not sure I would have called myself that, but I definitely have had moments where- there's no end in sight. No night out planned, no babysitter, no girl time, no hubs time, no me-time. When there's no relief, and cooooonnnnnstant chaos, it can get a little overwhelming. (Can I get a what!what!?)
They all continued the blessing the next day. Jer took the boys out early to donuts and everyone was able to sleep in a little....(except the mom of the sweet, disgruntled baby...Poor Creighton) We played games with the kids and I tried to get in some mom time. I could tell it was beginning to bother Luke that I was around, but not really "around". Suddenly, the girls told me that we were going to go somewhere for a little while. So we all packed in the car and they took me to coffee. We had a great time talking, and just being women. Don't all women need time to talk about everything, and nothing? Men enjoy..... not talking when they are together.
Then they took me to get a pedicure. Once again, I felt so unworthy of all of the special treatment. As if the weekend hadn't already been incredible, we headed home and on the counter was a table full of gifts and a cake. (mind you, my birthday is in December. 3 days after Christmas, to be exact. Usually people aren't really around to go out with and I don't really bother asking anymore, since I know it's a really inconvenient time) He had planned this weekend to revive my spirit and to celebrate my birthday with my closest friends. The gifts were a complete surprise. They had already done so much. I awkwardly opened all of them while Libby sat on my lap. Everything fit, everything was perfect, and everything was amazing.
We headed out and the restaurant was amazing. The food was spectacular and Jer presented me with this:
5 comments:
crying.
what a great hubs. you deserved such a great day.
Yay! What a great weekend. So glad it turned out good!
Puts a mom in a tear-shower of joy and pride -- for both of you! Keep modeling it for those three God has entrusted to you. So grateful God has blessed us with you both!
...and grateful for such loving and devoted friends! I am blessed by the blessings these friends continue to give!
Speechless. And soo happy for you.
Post a Comment