Anyway- Luke's chronic diarrhea has haunted him since birth with no end in sight. After numerous diets, supplements, and doc appointments, our latest steps is seeing a GI specialist and doing some tests. He may just have "toddler's diarrhea" and some kids don't grow out of that until they are 4 or 5. (Yikes). But they can give medication to slow things down, etc. So the doc wants him to go on a low carb (are you kidding) diet for 2 weeks. That sounds like a nightmare. Eating chicken and cheese for 2 weeks while everyone else isn't sounds like a recipe for disaster. Also- I had to get a fresh stool sample sometime and get it to the lab within 2 hours of for them to do lab work. Fresh poo... I was a bit panicked about this part because Luke is potty trained and wears undies all day but during nap and nighttime. It is then and only then that he will have diarrhea. It's like he's too scared to poop in the potty because he knows how much it hurts. So every night I put a diaper on him, paste on diaper cream and arrive to a diarrhea diaper EVERY morning. But- how would I know how fresh the poo was? Would I have to take a sample in the middle of the night? Plus- school starts on Monday---....But God relieved my stress when I put Ian down for a nap (after Luke was put down 20 minutes prior), and I walked past Luke's room. My nose caught the atrocious odor that has plagued our house for 2 years and I wondered if I could sneak in and extract the poo. So I went for it. The precious boy laid right down while I changed him and I put him right back in bed. I called my sister (I'm so blessed to have her!) and she came over and held the nap fort down while I packaged the poo and rushed over to the lab to deliver the goods.
I feel so relieved to have that part done. Now I have to take him to the lab on Saturday for blood work. He'll love that.
So for now- low carbs, 2 probiotics, benefiber, and most likely a fussy boy. I pray that we'll find an answer soon. Hopefully it's just a temporary thing that he'll grow out of and not any life long condition.
**
Last weekend we got to spend time with our good friends. It was so great to see them and actually hang out. The kids had such a great time together. They all just seemed so big. They called each other "My friend" all weekend and got along really well.
We went to the water park and the boys were in heaven. They went on the water slide repeatedly and were pretty fearless in the water.
For now- we're hoping to hull away the last of our landscaping project and be done with it. Then Monday-school starts. I hope we can get right into the swing of things...I hope.
7 comments:
Praise the Lord. I am so excited that you were able to get that poo sample in before you had to go back to work. I'm glad it happened during the day and you didn't have to be on poo watch during the night.
Now you get to sleep peacefully through the night! Yea!! So glad things worked out.
I'm praying that Monday will be a calm day and good start for the school year.
Mmmm, good times.
I hope you are able to get to the bottom of it.
No pun intended.
love the "roses" edition to this post. perfectly fitting:)
I bet it is so hard for you to know Luke is going through this. I never knew the feeling of truly wanting to trade places with someone in pain until I had a child. Wait, did I just announce how selfish I was before? Dang it. You are such a good mom and I bet you find hundreds of ways to soothe him.
About the 40 blogs yesterday - I can't just whip them out like you. I end up saving parts of a blog and then posting them when I'm finished.
And I'm sorry the roadtrip didn't happen this summer, but let's both admit you've been pretty busy with company lately. Can we start looking to visit sometime in the fall? Maybe on a break? I'll throw some dates at you soon!
Good luck with school. Hopefully this year will be smooth sailing. I would love to see your classroom!
Oh Yikes. No fun. Nothing like walking into the building with a bag of poop. I hope things get figured out soon. Poor guy. If Evan had to go on a low carb diet...wow...I don't want to think about it.
Okay I truly believe that Lukey and I are kindred spirits. We really have both endured intense intestinal problems. I knew we were meant to be soul mates. Well I just wanted to let you know I am praying for that little man. I also wanted to let you know I love you so much and really really miss you. I am not going to lie I had a wonderful night when we went out you are absolutely hilarious. Thats why we are best friends. Miss you so much.
Post a Comment