Ahh....weekend bliss. sleeping in, sneaking downstairs to make my coffee and breakfast, and back to a quiet room alone. The boys faithfully wait in their rooms until the clock strikes 8 and right at 7:59, you hear their doors open and Luke pounds on my door, "MOM! My clock says 8 o'clock! It's time to get up!" I go down and put on some Curious George and now I might actually have a moment to blog???
Jer got up early to go run the course with his buddies for the upcoming race they are doing. It's nice to be alone, yet I am jealous of the exercise....Libby? Who knows....she often just plays in her crib with no sounds at all, yet if I go and wake her up before she is awake, it's not a pretty picture. So I give her a nice cushion of time to make sure. Plus- during the week she does morning naps and we don't on the weekend.
Last night Ian had his first faux sleepover. He wanted to invite 2 friends his age over for a sleepover. (I remember having one in Kindergarten) but I wasn't sure if the parents would feel comfortable at this age or not. The most different part about this, is that they were kids that I don't know that well yet, and I certainly don't know their parents very well.
So I first had to get past the awkward contact of the invite. Since this wasn't a big party- there were no invites that could be done without contact. I had to personally call these moms and invite their sons to play with my energy filled child. Ian doesn't talk a lot about school. By the time I pick him up at 5:30, he's so exhausted from the day, and ready to be home that he doesn't offer much information about the events or contacts throughout the day. The more I prod, the more frustrated he gets. So I've excepted that, and when he is willing to share, I drop everything to try and hear the perspective in the life of a kindergartner. (well drop everything as in the radio, the air conditioner, and possibly sit in the car for a minute before we enter the house) but we are still competing with a 20 month old that wants her voice heard and a 4 1/2 year old that does likewise. We really try to talk about our days over dinner. But that too frequently gets interrupted by complaints about dinner, needing more of something, Libby needing help or throwing her food down when she's full, ....you get the picture.
So one boy he invited was a boy in his class. They actually live down the road and seem like a really nice family. We took them cookies over Christmas and they stopped by several weeks later with some homemade rolls. The mom seems very friendly and I've wanted to nurture the relationship between the boys, but when? I got her contact info and then lost it. Go me. So finally I got a hold of her and we arranged it. She wasn't comfortable with the all-nighter and planned to pick him up right before they settled down for bed. Around the start time of the evening, I looked out the window and saw the little boy sprinting down the sidewalk with a little present in his hand, so excited to come. Mom was trailing behind him with her 2 year old. Turns out, they are great buddies. The mom reported that they play together all the time (she is a stay-at-home mom and of course, is able to go in the classroom). I had no idea that they were good friends. It made me partially sad- that I don't have a closer glimpse in his life, and partially excited that maybe next year I will. Then the mom tells me that next year, they will be going to a charter school. wah wahhhhh. So next year this friendship will be only contingent on play dates......
The other boy is a good friend from daycare. He goes to a local private school and now that Ian is back at daycare, they get to play a lot. BUT- next year, I'll be home---so there will no daycare and another friendship that will dissolve if I don't keep it going.
no pressure.
The night went really well. The boys were all wild and crazy and had just as much energy as Ian. Ian was surprisingly a kind, considerate host and only had a few things we needed to remind him how to be polite. He was kind to his brother and included him in all the festivities.
Part of the evening, they were eating their cupcakes and they were having this conversation of made up "what-if's" and the game appeared to be to think of any wild and crazy event or nouns that could be put into a weird sentence and then laugh hysterically at it. This was the best part of the night for Jer and I. We sat on the couch and belly laughed the whole time.
So a great night with 2 friends----that may be just be "Phase friends" for him. I'll just keep praying for new ones along the way.
3 comments:
Poor little Libby! I imagine she'll be pretty tough growing up with two brothers.
It is not surprising that Ian proved to be a great little buddy. His sweet and caring side is very apparent, along with his boyish ways (which I am starting to really understand and enjoy). Boys are just funny. Watching and hearing their "what ifs" must have been hilarious. Amazing how little kid conversations can bring such joy and entertainment to adults. Love it!
Tami
Love it! The life of a fly on the wall!
Your kids are adorable! Libby is just a doll--I want to just kiss her cheeks!
My 1 year old is always banged up. I just chalk it up to her inheriting my clumsiness. :)
Post a Comment