I've had lots to write about this week, just no time to do it. Although it seems I always claim my life is busy- it seemed like I was juggling multiple things through the week and had little time to do anything restful but sleep.
I was blessed to see my good friend, Melissa, who came into town with her precious 1 yr old. We had a wonderful time visiting and it was good to have a evening with friends.
We did a lot of family things this weekend and even scored a date night Saturday evening. We raided Goodwill and Savers and found some amazing finds. My best was a brand new pair of Lucky jeans for $9.99! And they fit perfectly ( a miracle in itself).
Today we had an amazing day. Dad got the day off (1 of like 4 that he gets- he has NO vacation time)... and from start to finish, it was ideal. We woke up, had pancakes, then loaded up and went to the park. Ian is really getting into imaginative play and it is so fun playing along with him. Then we decided to try to tackle my grocery trip with the whole family. We split up and conquered. That went smoothly as well (as long as the boys could eat a banana on the way out of the store...).
We came home and Dad played trains with the boys while I fixed lunch. They just soaked up the time with him. Naptime - I dabbled bills, bathrooms, laundry, dishes, and then sat down and we both read books together. They woke up, and played outside (without telling on each other every other minute) and we had a nice big dinner, (with cupcakes as dessert)- played outside more- buried the dinosaurs in the sand, mowed the lawn, gave the dog a bath,.....I'm realizing this actually doesn't sound real any more. But - it is! After a long day with Luke yesterday, (he is just starting to really be "2") we needed a good family day. Thank you God. :)
So what's been heavily on my mind lately- is this raising boys thing. Some days I just think- am I really cut out for this? Being raised with 2 sisters, things that I never thought would be - seem foreign to me. I was reminded of "Bringing up Boys" by a friend and I swear I have a copy but I scoured the house and cannot find it. So I checked it out from the church library. It has just captured me because I am realizing that all the things that I worry about- are normal. Turns out- they're just normal, typical, to-be-expected boys. Doesn't make it any easier. But maybe I can stop feeling like it's just my kids. All this realizations came to pass- like when I ask them to talk nicely- instead of using that manly voice (for lack of a better description), or when I fret over them turning every possible object into a sword or gun, or when I worry about how rough they are with each other---normal, normal, normal. (whew....Dr. Dobson- where have you been all my life?)
I'm realizing how my role is going to start to vastly change. I've already noticed how Dad is preferred, which doesn't bother me, surprisingly. Although I never thought of how he needs to be the one directing them through boyhood, adolescence and then manhood. I guess I just thought "parenting" would cover it. In a way, I'm a bit relieved. I don't understand the make-up of a boy. I gave up trying to understand men a long time ago- never thinking I would have to revisit the topic. All I have to relate to is my own past and childhood. So as I was prepping to mold these kids into kind, considerate, gentlemen- I'm puzzled why the behavior wasn't even curving close to what I was relating it to. (if that makes sense).
So I go into this next week, feeling comforted, yet aware of the huge challenge ahead. It just seems as a parent, there are so many things you are constantly working towards. Security, esteem, discipline, mature mind, love, health, just to scratch the surface. But I believe the most important thing I can do is pray for them. I can't control a lot of what they will face but I can wrap them in prayer.
Running? I hit 7 this week, but my hip has really been bothering me. I hope it won't hold me back from anything.
Gotta get some sleep.
6 comments:
ooo, I'll have to read that book! I love Dr. D. Too bad he doesn't make house calls!
Savers is seriously my favorite place to go...so cheap and kind of a thrill to find something awesome.
Wow, so much to respond to - congrats on the new jeans. It's much more fun to find them cheap. Way to go with the 7 miles! Who are you? Just in time to train for the next Olympics.
As for your little gentlemen in the making - Who knew a girl who once wore scarves could hang with the boys so well?! You are consistent with teaching manners, take time to enjoy playing with them, and show them what it feels like to be loved. I realize that you are not saying you are lacking as a parent, just that this parenting business is a constant tug at your heart, both in complete satisfaction and utter frustration. I want to let you know I've gained extra patience and knowlege just by watching you be a mommy:)
I've said it before and I'll say it again - I wish we lived closer!
Interesting read! You're a great mom of boys! You and Jer make a great team, and you both know how to roll with the waves. Great models for the young men they will become! (and whomever else they bring home)
Take care of that hip! Running is only fun if it hurts in that good way:)
7 weeks left? You have time to get up to the mileage you'll need for the 1/2 - you will totally be able to run the whole thing. I recommend the power bar gels. Those last few miles start to hurt but if you pop one of those say every mile for the last 3 miles, it not only gave me a much needed carb rush but it eased the ache in my legs too. Not quite sure how that works but it must have something to do with the lactic acid, etc.
anyhow - probably more than you wanted to know:) I love me some running!
I remember 2 little boys about 30 years ago--living with a constant whirlwind of roughhousing; loud, boisterous, sometimes aggressive play; frequently fighting--and I think they turned out pretty darned good!
Post a Comment