Monday, October 13, 2008

Joy and Pain

I just returned from the Ladies' Retreat with my church. It was in nice hotel in a nearby town. It ended up being a really good time with friends and a great chance to get to know some new people and be around the "Oak Trees" in our church. (the older generation with such strong roots)
The theme was "Joy in the Midst of Pain". All people can relate to this topic at some point in their lives, whether from relationships, death, jobs, family issues, medical conditions, depression, or other life circumstances that come our way. That pain seems so overwhelming that it is hard to imagine anything but. I kept wishing that the mother of my student that just lost her husband could be present for this seminar, because she so needs to hear the words of hope that can follow pain. But not only did it remind me to seek the joy of the Lord, but to encourage those people going through things that there is hope.
I came home to a quiet house. I thought the boys might already be napping but they were just sitting quietly at the table, eating their PB & J's, while Dad was cutting up apples for them. The house was clean and the laundry was almost finished. I was grateful and proud for the job well done, while I was away. They had a great "guys" weekend. (down to the army guy figurines they acquired while I was gone) I am truly blessed.
So I start this week with a fresh attitude, a renewed spirit, laundry completed, and I'm ready to face the school week with a new sense of joy.
(should be easy for me right?)

3 comments:

Sherry said...

After a normally 10 minute commute to work turned into an hour, and me walking in my classroom as the bell rang, this is exactly what I needed to read, made me feel at peace right away. What a great way to spend my plan time:). Glad you had a great weekend

grammasnotes said...

I've been thinking about this too. Just read an article about innocent Japanese Americans interred during WWII. The injustices of life. They are always present. These people chose to forgive and be thankful. God help me always do the same!

The Johnson Journey said...

Hi Joy! I just stumbled upon your blog through one of my other friend's blogs who has one of your friends on her blog...:) Anyway, I hope things are going good with you!!! :) Laurie Johnson