Wednesday, April 2, 2008

a good day

Ideally, I would like to blog in the evenings- and get off the day's event. But let's face it, in the evenings, we are lucky to get dinner, baths, playtime, bedtime and any moment to speak to one another before we fall into deep sleep ourselves. Yesterday was a good day. School was okay and when I got home- I had a fun playtime with the boys. At one point Ian said, "Do you know I love you, Mommy?" Which is a phrase I often say to him. Once I translated the slurred words and realized what he had said- it warmed my heart beyond words. Wow, - he actually does absorb some positive actions and words that he repeats as well as the mom bossy voice towards brother. I always tell my kids at school-"Even if you leave my classroom and you don't know how to read and you don't know how to do math, but you know how to love other people and yourself, I will be a happy teacher." Don't worry, I do teach them reading and math- but what will that get them in life in they have no self esteem- and make bad choices. Where will education bring them happiness if they have no respect for others. Obviously is a combo package but I would consider one of a greater value. I suppose that is also how I view parenting. I can't shelter them from everything- nor do I want to. I can't make their choices, (well now I can, but that won't last long!) or choose their friends. But I can try to bring them up and instill all the values and respect so that they will choose to do those things on their own. It's a scary thought- the products that our children will be. So much responsibility- when there are so many outside influences. God help me. But for last night- Thomas the Train railroad play, a brownie bribe for dinner to be eaten and a soothing bike ride outside, a few moments movie cuddle time, a good night prayer and a sigh was a good day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a great mom.
I love that you tell your students it is important that they love themselves and others. That's great.
It was nice having you back at Bible study.